I first published this post in November of 2013 and I republished it in early 2015. The other day I was thinking about how crazy the last 5 years have been for us, which led to me think about this post. I thought it might be time for another update. So, just for fun here’s an updated version of 25 things you may not know about me. They are in no particular order.
1. If you look up the word impatient in the dictionary, you’ll find my name.
2. I am a self-admitted history geek. I believe firmly that we have to know how far we’ve come in order to move forward.
3. I am a retired elementary school teacher, child development center director and university instructor. It’s a career I loved and was often challenged by.
4. I have been married for 38 years but never walked down the aisle. Civil ceremony. It was in Honolulu though!
5. I’ve had 3 surgical procedures on my left foot. I think that’s more than my fair share.
6. I was a contestant on the Wheel of Fortune television game show. Absolutely true.
7. I have a paralyzing fear of heights and huge open spaces, and I cannot look up at a skyscraper.
8. Speaking of fears – any living thing from the insect realm freaks me out. Seriously.
9. I hate to fly but I will do so to get where I want to go, but it usually requires a cocktail in a pill.
10. I love mowing our 5 acres of field grass on our riding lawnmower, Hilda.
11. Asparagus and carrots are my favorite veggies. Yum!
12. I can cook. And bake.
13. Rocky Road ice cream, chocolate pudding, dipped cones and really good pastry.
14. I was born in California but grew up in a very small town in Nevada. When I was a kid there were no traffic lights in our town and people left their doors wide open.
15. I am 1/2 German and 1/2 Portuguese. Stubborn. I visited both countries, for the first time, in 2015.
16. I took my 1st college class at the age of 33.
17. I am allergic to shellfish and way too many other things.
18. I don’t have hobbies, but I can create fabulous scrapbooks/photo journal albums.
19. Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Linus and the entire Peanuts Gang warm my heart.
20. I can drive a stick shift. And I can drive a 16′ Penske Truck named Big Betty.
21. I do not like coffee, beer or red wine, but I will go out of my way for a good Chai Latte.
22. I need 3 pairs of prescription glasses. Reading. Distance. Sunglasses.
23. We owned a Bed & Breakfast for 4 years.
hate loathe structured exercise but I can walk for miles. We walked 350 miles along the Camino de Santiago in 2015.
25. I am madly in love with Julia Child.
That’s just a little bit of a glimpse into what makes me tick. Let us get to know you just a bit as well. What are 3 things most people might not know about you?
I so, so, so, so want to meet you someday Patti!!! I love your stories and your “25 things” (I hope you can cook delicious gluten fee baking for when I visit you). Great list, and thank you for a lovely glimpse into your wonderful world:)
You’re so sweet, Tracey, and I so, so, so, want to meet you (and your guys) as well and I truly hope our paths cross one day.
I wonder whether this link to show off your scrap-booking talents may have been appropriate?!! 😉
Have you started one yet for your wonderful 350 mile long walk along the Camino de Santiago?
Now that would be such fun to do – and a post with images I’d love to read 😀
Linda Fairbairn recently posted…Plan for the Future & Review your Year at a Glance
Thanks, Linda for sharing the link. Most likely I will not create a book for our Camino walk – it would be a daunting project to take on and we have the blog posts for memorabilia. Maybe, though… never say never, right?!
I love that you’ve reposted an updated version of this, I also enjoyed reading my comment from 2013! Wow, how time flies 🙂 I still love your Wheel of Fortune fact; amazing all the new achievements you’ve been able to add since then too.
Amy recently posted…Teaching English in Hanoi Q&A with Hannah and Ben
It’s a fun exercise, Amy, to go back and read older posts and make updates. Time really does fly – scary fast!
well how bizarre.. my comment never posted.. but love this story… how fun to have had your moment in the sun!
Rhonda recently posted…Back to the Beach….and Mexico!
Thank you, Rhonda. I did see your comment left on my post titled, “My 15 Minute Claim to Fame,” perhaps that’s what you’re thinking of. Either way, thanks so much!
Well, I still haven’t done my list and like your comment the first time suggested that would be fun for me to do someday. I don’t like spiders (or snakes), I like Pralines and Cream, I’ve studied World War II history specifically but also history in general I enjoy like you. I love it when bloggers post these kind of lists. They are sooooo much fun to read, Patti! I hope your foot doesn’t bother you on your upcoming trip, my dear! 🙂
Mike recently posted…Chihuly Garden and Glass in Seattle, Washington
You and me both, Mike! My feet, my knees, my back… 😉
Patti showed me a clip of the Wheel of Fortune show once. I think it was on an old video cassette. Didn’t you win a washer and dryer? Those were the days when you had to shop for your prizes. And Vanna was much younger. (of course, so were we)
Dishwasher – and that was part of my prize package when they showed my episode as a rerun. Original winnings included a trip to a resort in St. Petersburg, FL. How come Vanna and Pat don’t look any older?!
Love it!!! This is so much fun. Great to get to know you better. P.S I need to see that Wheel of Fortune clip. xxx
Sarah Somewhere recently posted…Why you need to do The Thing you need to do
It was long before the days of YouTube. 😉
What a great list! I chuckled and nodded and looked askew at some! I’d love to do a list like this too. Thanks for sharing 🙂
Johanna recently posted…How to create Balinese gardens without going to Bali
Thanks Johanna ~ it was actually quite fun to write and taxed my brain just a bit!
Great list. I’ll try to think of three things people I know through being a travel blogger might not know about me.
1. I ran track and cross-country in college
2. I originally wanted to be a history teacher and high school coach, but majored in journalism because my then-girlfriend (now wife) applied to be on the school newspaper and I thought if she could do it I could do it. So I applied, got the job and added journalism as my second major. I have journalism and history degrees. I use journalism degree as the managing editor of a business paper but not doing anything with the history degree. But I’ve always loved the subject, especially American history.
3. Until I was 14 I lived in a small town in Arkansas and probably wouldn’t have done anything with my life if my parents didn’t move us to the “big city” of Memphis. There, I was exposed to kids who cared about grades and going to college.
Lance | Trips By Lance recently posted…Red Cat House: A Haven in the Heart of Taos
Smooth move following your future wife into the news room! Me too, on the American history, especially the settling of the American West. Those that came before us displayed such courage and strength. Thanks for reading, Lance!
Great facts, I did of course know about your fear of bugs! I would love to hear more about your appearance on the wheel of fortune (sounds like many readers are interested in that!). I’m trying to think of three things not many people know about me… I’m probably one of the world’s biggest Hanson fans (!), I love rats and kept five of them as pets in the past and I am obsessed with zombie movies and books, I even played a zombie last year in the 2.8 hours later zombie chase game in London.
Amy recently posted…Volunteering with Animals Abroad – Our Week at the Dog Rescue Project in Thailand
I remember reading your post about being a Zombie – too crazy! Super cute that you’re a Hanson fan, but oh my – rats for pets?! Ha! Ha!
Love the list Patti….how cool is it that you were a contestant on wheel of fortune!
Kerri recently posted…RTW Budget: Three Countries One Month
Thanks Kerri! I may have to consider writing a post about my time spinning the wheel!
Very interesting. I too am allergic to shellfish. It took me 14 years to earn a BS. I was a go-go girl.
Gaelyn recently posted…The worst and best places I stayed in South Africa
Thanks Gaelyn, it was a fun post to write. I found out I was allergic to shellfish the hard way 🙁
By the way, I am honored that you followed my post and shared things about yourself. It was not easy for me to do and the knowledge that it was well received and enjoyed makes it easier, even retroactively. Yay for dear sweet friends!
Thanks Miss Neva – your list inspired me to think about my own list of 25. It was actually quite fun to write, but somewhat taxing on the brain at the same time! You inspire me in many many ways!
What a fantastic list! I am so glad you did this exercise! I’ll bet there are *way* more than 25 fascinating facts about you! 🙂
I think “fascinating” is a s-t-r-e-t-c-h, but I thank you! 😉
Since my name isn’t very common, I’m flattered to have inspired you to give us this interesting list. FYI, Neva means “snow white” (dictionary) and the largest river in Russia is the Neva river.
I found out about adrenalin rushes when I became a Sky Angel and have 80+ skydives logged. So this is one area we don’t have in common.
Interesting list and love your travels.
Neva Fels recently posted…A Jurassic Playground of Goblins
Thank you for reading and following our travels. I have a dear friend in my life named Neva. Thanks for explaining the origin of the name and now I know two Nevas! I am impressed that you have logged 80+ sky dives, something that will never be on my list! Kudos to you!
This was so much fun to read, Patti! I can’t think of 3 things right off the bat. But, I was married in Kauai right off of the beach. You sooooo need to write a post about being on Wheel of Fortune! I clicked on the link and it took me to the WOF site. You know of my deep appreciation of teachers 🙂
Mike recently posted…Thor: The Dark World Movie Review (Spoiler Alert)
Thanks, Mike. I’m thinking you should write your own list of 25, I know I would love to read it! I’ll think about the idea of telling my Wheel of Fortune story. It was a l-o-n-g time ago!
Interesting list. We have 9 things in common.
santafetravelers recently posted…Tidbits: Santa Fe art, music and more…
Don’t leave me hanging… which 9?! Ha! Ha!