When this recipe was shared with me by an online friend, Chhavi of Sour Lemons and Tequila, my mouth started watering from the get go. I am a great lover of cauliflower, not sure why, but I absolutely love it. This recipe sounds just wonderful and the next time I get to the store and actually “remember” to buy a head of cauliflower, my kitchen is going to smell divine! If you beat me to it, please let Chhavi know how much you enjoyed her recipe.
…And as Julia would say, Bon Apetit!
A Super Quick and Delicious Recipe: Cauliflower and Peas (Hindi: Gobi Mattar ki Sabzi)
This one is very quick, especially with the preparation time. The best way to go on about a cauliflower is to wash it thoroughly and then just pluck out the florets!
A very similar recipe is the Cauliflower and Potato (Hindi: Aloo Gobi) recipe, which turns out yellow in colour. This is due to the turmeric we add to it. But the recipe we’re going to make here has a beautiful green-yellow colour.
Let’s start with the ingredients:
- Butter, 2 chunks
- Cumin seeds, 2 tsp
- Ginger paste, 2 tsp
- Green chili, 1 chopped
- Peas, as much as you like
- Coriander leaves, chopped for garnish
- Garam masala, 1 tsp
- Salt, to taste
The Super-easy Method:
- Melt butter in a kadhai (similar to a wok). Add cumin seeds and let them sputter. Now add ginger paste and fry till you smell the wonderful aroma of ginger (takes just a few minutes).
- Now add the chopped green chili, the cauliflower florets, peas and salt. Sauté well.
- Pour in just enough water so that cauliflower cooks well in the steam. This is like a quarter cup of water.
- Cover it and let it cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, or till done. You can check the softness of cauliflower: it should not be hard from inside (use a fork to check) and it should not be mushy either.
- Gently mix them all to insure everything is cooked.
- You can now garnish with the chopped coriander leaves and garam masala. I generally toss and mix the coriander and garam masala in with the veggies at this stage and it looks super!
Smells super too! Best served with hot buttery chapattis!
And don’t forget to follow Chhavi at https://www.facebook.com/PoemsByChhaviVatwani/info